McKay Law Mass Tort Lawyers
When numerous individuals have been harmed by a dangerous drug or defective product, a mass tort lawsuit is an efficient means for achieving justice.
At McKay Law our attorneys fight for the injured people, not for the powerful corporations that endanger your health and well-being. We have the resources and know-how to help you secure full and fair compensation.
Mass Torts: An Overview
A tort is a wrongful act that causes harm to another person. A mass tort, therefore, is a wrongful act – typically committed by a large company – that harms many people. Those who are injured may be able to sue the wrongdoer to recoup their losses.
In a mass tort, multiple plaintiffs file civil cases against a defendant. All are making similar claims about damages from a product or service they used. Examples include injuries stemming from prescription drugs, medical devices, and faulty products.
A tort case makes the claim that the plaintiff incurred a loss – whether physical, financial, and/or emotional – that the at-fault party is responsible to pay for. Although the victims may have been affected in different manners and to varying degrees, the common thread in mass torts is that a single product or service is being blamed for these negative outcomes.
Mass Torts vs. Class Actions
Mass torts and class actions are similar in that they both involve multiple individuals who have been harmed by a negligent party. However, they are distinct from one another in how the plaintiffs are treated.
- Class Actions: In a class action, all claimants are part of a group that needs to prove wrongdoing, and participants are represented collectively. Those in the class all have the same injury or loss. For example, multiple people affected by a data breach may take part in a class action lawsuit.
- Mass Torts: In a mass tort, each member of the group has an individual claim. Participants commonly suffer similar injuries, but the extent of the damages is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Mass torts generally yield larger settlements and verdicts than class actions.
Benefits of Mass Torts
Mass torts have become a common legal mechanism for the victims of big businesses and governments. By combining your claim with other similar claims, you can:
- Streamline the legal process
- Ensure that all applicable arguments are applied in every case
- Build the strongest case for compensation by demonstrating the wide-ranging negative effects of the product
- Give yourself the best opportunity at recovering fair compensation
- Help drive change that will prevent future injuries
Types of Damages Available
Because every case is evaluated individually, the damages awarded to plaintiffs can vary. Depending on your specific losses, a successful case may help you recover various costs including:
- Past and future medical costs (e.g., hospital stays, medication, physical therapy, surgery, and rehabilitation)
- Lost wages for time missed from work
- Reduced earning capacity
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional stress
How An Attorney Can Help
McKay Law’s mass tort lawyers work diligently to present the strongest case possible for our clients. Our attorneys can:
- Review your medical records to connect your injury to the defective product
- Analyze documents produced by the defendant
- Prepare the appropriate documentation to file your lawsuit
- Hire renowned medical experts to testify in your case
- Attend court hearings to resolve pretrial disputes and other legal matters
- Take your claim from start to finish
- Provide 24/7 access to our legal team throughout
What’s more, you’ll have the backing of America’s largest personal injury law firm. With more than 700 lawyers and thousands of team members nationwide, we have the resources to achieve the best outcome in your case. We’ve recovered over $9 billion for our clients across practice areas, and our attorneys never settle for anything less than full and fair compensation.
How You Can Help
In addition to hiring a proven attorney, you can bolster your chance for success by taking several steps:
- Follow treatment plans and medical advice from your doctor
- Gather documents that could support your case, such as hospital bills, medical test results, prescriptions, and receipts
- Take photographs of your injury
- Keep notes (or a journal) detailing your injury and the recovery process
- Get contact information for any witnesses that may be able to verify for your account of what transpired
Hiring Us Is Free
At McKay Law, we believe that everyone is entitled to quality legal representation, no matter their financial means. That’s why we work on a contingency: It costs nothing to hire us, and we get paid only if we successfully resolve your case. There’s no out-of-pocket fees and no risk to you.
Free Consultation with National Mass Tort Lawyers
McKay Law Protects the Rights of Injured People
Mckay Law is a national personal injury law firm that focuses on representing victims of personal injury cases. Personal injury law holds parties liable for the injuries and damages that they cause to others as a result of negligent or intentional misconduct. Personal Injury lawsuits fall under an area of the law called tort law.
Tort law is designed to address civil wrongdoing (not based in contractual obligations) and provide a remedy in the form of adequate compensation for the wronged or injured party.
Why McKay Law?
Passion For Justice – Compassion For Clients
Millions in recoveries for our clients.
More than 10,000 cases closed and settled for our clients.
20+ years of combined experience with of counsel addition.