On the roads around Tyler, people die from injuries they suffered in semi-truck accidents due to truck driver negligence every year.
If you or someone you care about has been in a crash involving an 18-wheeler, you know how steeply the odds are stacked against you. A fully-loaded rig can weigh up to 80,000 pounds — easily 20 times heavier than a typical passenger vehicle.
Fatalities in big-rig accidents are roughly double those for passenger vehicles — and for a reason. The extra mass of the truck translates into immense force that can crush almost anything — or anyone — in its path.
At McKay Law, Lindsey McKay fights for hardworking Texans in Tyler who have been injured in 18-wheeler and commercial vehicle accidents. Lindsey understands how to investigate these accidents and is a master at holding truck drivers, their employers and insurance companies accountable for the injuries and deaths they cause.
Injuries Caused by Truck Driver Negligence
Lindsey represents clients who suffer from a wide range of catastrophic truck-accident injuries, including:
- Wrongful Death
- Brain injuries, including Traumatic Brain Injury (TMI)
- Spinal cord injuries
Truckers around Tyler, TX can permanently change the lives of the people they injure. Innocent people have the right to expect that truck drivers will drive responsibly.
McKay Law 18-wheeler accident lawyers are not afraid to go after truckers, their employers, and their insurance companies for the accident caused by truck driver negligence. We want to make sure our clients get the compensation they need to pay medical bills, rehabilitation costs, future medical care, and any other damages to a person or property. Lindsey McKay does not take “no” for an answer.
Why Hire the McKay Law for a Tyler, TX Truck Accident
McKay Law has recovered millions of dollars for accident victims in Tyler, TX since opening our firm. Our goal is to win your case, so you don’t have to pay for any expenses yourself. You should not have to suffer the consequences of someone else’s actions. Lindsey McKay will fight hard to seek justice and hold the parties that caused your injuries liable for the suffering you were forced to endure.
Legal cases can cause a tremendous amount of stress and frustration. The last thing you want to think about while you’re trying to heal is the responsibility of handling an insurance claim or lawsuit. You can count on your Tyler, TX truck accident lawyer to complete each step of the process on your behalf.
You can breathe a sigh of relief, knowing Lindsey McKay is looking out for your best interests and working hard to reach a favorable outcome in your Tyler, Tx truck accident case.
What To Do After a Truck Accident in Tyler, TX
The decisions you make after an accident could impact your case and determine whether you can pursue compensation from the at-fault party. The shock of what just happened might cloud your judgment and jeopardize your case. It is imperative that you follow the steps below to protect your rights if you sustain injuries in a collision with a commercial truck:
Step 1 – Report the accident to law enforcement. It is illegal to flee the scene if there’s an injury or fatality. Wait for an officer to arrive and investigate the crash. They will complete a crash report and inform you when it’s okay to leave.
Step 2 – Ask the truck driver for their name, contact information, employer information, and insurance.
Step 3 – Take photos of the scene and collect as much evidence as possible.
Step 4 – Look around for people who saw the crash. Write down their names and phone numbers. They could provide witness statements and confirm what happened.
Step 5 – Seek immediate medical treatment. Don’t wait to go to a hospital or doctor, especially if your injury is severe. If your doctor recommends a treatment plan, you should follow it. It’s critical that you don’t allow too much time to pass in between appointments or make a habit of skipping appointments. Insurance companies look at something like that as evidence that you weren’t injured or it’s not serious enough to require medical attention.
Step 6 – Maintain records of everything. Every time your doctor prescribes medication, you receive a medical bill, or the insurance company sends you a letter, keep a copy of it. Every document associated with your case is proof of what happened to you.
Step 7 – If you need to get your car repaired, bring it to a repair shop for an estimate of the damage.
Step 8 – Hire a Tyler, TX truck accident attorney to represent you in your case.
How McKay Law Investigates Tyler, TX Truck Accidents
Investigating a truck accident can be sensitive. There are many factors at play, and various parties could be held liable. We know how to thoroughly investigate these kinds of cases to prove someone else was responsible for the crash, and you should receive adequate compensation for your losses.
Evidence is of the utmost importance. If law enforcement showed up at the accident scene, they have a legal obligation to complete a crash report and submit it to the Texas Department of Transportation. We will obtain a copy and review it to determine their findings and who they believe was at fault.
Other crucial information we can find on the report in Tyler, TX includes:
- Date, approximate time, and exact location of the collision
- Name, contact information, and auto insurance for all drivers involved
- Vehicle details, such as make and model, VIN, and damage
- Names and phone numbers of witnesses
- Description and diagram of the accident
- Determination of fault
- Issued traffic citations
Even if the crash report says someone else caused the accident, that is the investigating officer’s opinion based on what they saw at the scene. It does not necessarily mean the insurance company will agree with their findings. We will need to gather other evidence to support your claim, including:
- Statements from witnesses
- Accident scene photos
- Security video footage of the crash
- Your medical records
- The truck driver’s qualifications, driving history, and employment history
- The trucking company’s hiring practices
- Estimates of vehicle damage
- Lost wage reports
Compensation Available After an 18-Wheeler Accident in Tyler, TX
Truck driver negligence is one of the root causes.
When a negligent truck driver causes an accident, they have failed in their assigned duty. It is the truck driver’s responsibility to drive with care. By causing an accident, the truck driver has created a chain reaction of events that can leave their victims severely injured and struggling to recover.
Large truck and commercial vehicle accidents are devastating. Chances are if you’ve been seriously hurt, you aren’t just facing medical bills today; you could be staring them down months and even years into the future. Medical bills, recovery costs, rehabilitation, property damage, time away from work, they all add up and add up fast.
Depending on the accident and circumstances, you may be entitled to recover financial compensation. Examples of the compensation you may be entitled to include:
- Medical expenses – You could be reimbursed for the cost of your past and current medical expenses such as the ambulance ride, emergency room visit, hospital bills, doctors’ bills, and medications.
- Future medical expenses – If your accident has left you suffering from injuries that require long-term care or therapy, you may be entitled to compensation to cover your recovery treatment. That could include physical therapy, rehabilitation therapy, and even assistive devices, for example, like a wheelchair.
- Loss of income – For many people involved in serious accidents, they need to take time away from work to recover. You may be able to be reimbursed for those lost wages.
- Loss of future earning capacity – If you have suffered injuries from the accident that make it impossible to continue working to your full capacity, you may also be entitled to compensation for a loss of future income.
- Pain and suffering – An experienced attorney can also help you recover compensation for your pain and suffering following a serious accident.
- Mental anguish – Mental and emotional trauma experienced from the crash, such as anxiety, fear, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and distress.
- Physical impairment or disfigurement – Permanent scarring, disfigurement, or loss of use of a body part.
- Loss of consortium – Intangible injuries suffered by the victim’s spouse from being deprived of comfort, affection, companionship, assistance, society, or sexual relations.
- Wrongful Death – If, unfortunately, you have lost a loved one due to a truck accident, you may be able to recover compensation for their final expenses, medical costs, and loss of your support. It is heartbreaking to lose a loved one, and we can’t make that pain go away, but we can help make sure that you are left with some financial stability.
While all truck accidents have their own unique set of circumstances, there is one universal truth in Tyler, TX, truck accidents. Insurers and trucking companies don’t want to pay you just compensation. They are for-profit businesses, and, to them, it’s their bottom line that matters, not the health and well-being of their victims of truck driver negligence.
The trucking company insurance carrier will likely offer well below low what is reasonable and not nearly enough to cover all the expenses that may arise following the accident. A knowledgeable lawyer knows how they play their game and can make sure that you aren’t being taken advantage of. Let a skilled Tyler, TX truck accident attorney like Lindsey McKay help your case and hold all responsible parties accountable for their actions.
Do Not Wait If You Have The Case
Our 18-wheeler truck accident lawyer in Tyler, TX, recommends you contact an experienced truck accident lawyer in Tyler, TX, immediately if you’re injured in a truck accident in Tyler, TX. Contact McKay Law now to discuss your case at (903) INJURED / (903) 465-8733 or (903) ABOGADA / (903) 226-4232. The consultation is free, and there is no obligation. NO FEES UNLESS WE WIN!